Saturday, May 8, 2010

I've been getting less internets than expected so haven't been updating.

Currently staying in shoebox sized hotel room (it literally only has enough room for a bed and an airline sized bathroom). I don't know what I'll be up to for the next couple of days since Katrina and I did everything I was planning on doing in 5 days in 2. I guess I'll see plays and visit Cambden market. I wore 2 holes into my jeans, so now there's room for extra stuff, although I already bought a new dress (it was at a second hand clothes store in Stratford where the money goes to cancer research and it was only 7 pounds).

Anyways, rushed updates (again in reverse chronological order):

Tonight, Katrina left. I'm not sure what I'll do without her. Slightly scared of getting overly lost (you know, more so than usual), or not keeping track of days and missing my flight. I also need to buy a watch now so I know the London time (I can't figure out how to switch the time on my phone since it automatically updates on fido but gets no signal here).

Stratford:
Not particularly impressed by the plays this time. There were a couple of interesting things they added in Romeo and Juliet (e.g. after Romeo sleeps with Juliet, the parting scene they made it seem like Juliet is really clingy but Romeo no longer really wants much to do with her anymore) but some things were more confusing and me trying to figure out what they were conveying detracted from feeling the emotions of the scene (e.g. everyone is wearing Elizabethan clothes except Romeo and Juliet who wear modern, hipster clothes and in the very last scene when the parents/community find the couple dead, Romeo and Juliet are in Elizabethan clothes while everyone else is in modern dress).
Antony and Cleopatra had some good moments but overall not that great. It might just be I'm not particularly fond of tragedies since I tend to zone out whenever there's a war update or it's about the wider implications for the country. Cleopatra came off as really haggard and old (she is old in the text but usually they make her be more charming and enchanting). I think it might have been interesting if I had seen other versions of it before where they do the stereotypical portrayal of Cleopatra, to see how it could be interpreted differently, but as it was, I was really wishing for a more Joelle-like Cleopatra.

Oxford:
There was punting (that was funny) and meeting Marcia's friends (so lovely) and listening to a talk on world trade by some journalist, i didn't quite catch which newspaper he wrote for (really interesting), drinking at a tavern, playing croquet, and spending time with Marcia. (Btw mars, the DVD I meant to leave at your place was actually still in my laptop).

London:
I don't remember at what point I stopped updating. (I only bought 15 min of internet, so I wrote this then copy pasted, spending the rest of the time looking for directions)

3 comments:

MCK said...

Yeah, I was gonna watch the DVD and saw that it was an empty case. But on the bright side, I'm up one towel, and an empty DVD case.

P.S. Katrina left her towel

MCK said...

Oh also, the R&J clothing thing. Maybe it was suppose to show how they were kind of in their own world - a more modern world(?)- separated from the traditionalist others stuck in their ways w/ an old feud. In the end it is the old world/ways that win over them/maybe they never really were apart and it was just and illusion *ghost noises and hand action*

Unknown said...

queridas
tenham um bom dia!
bjs