Monday, July 7, 2008

My Alarm Sucks

So, yesterday, I was supposed to wake up at least by 9am, so I could catch the train meet up with David in Basel at noon, as I had told him. I set my alarm for 8:30am, figuring that'd be best. I woke up on my own at 8am, but went back to sleep figuring I'd be woken up in half an hour.

Next time I look at my watch, it's 11:49. Shit.

I hurriedly got dressed and ran to the nearest pay phone to call David's cell. It took several attempts for me to figure out how to dial to a cellphone with a German area code. I'd told him that I'd be at the very least 2 hrs late.

I wait around for the bus going towards the train station and eventually give up, and decide to walk instead.

Once I get to the train station, I missed the last train by 1min, so I have to wait half an hour to get the next one.

I end up getting to Basel around 3:40, ridiculously late. I call David, and we meet up by a church. Basel was a cute little old town, but pretty dead on a Sunday (european shops aren't open sundays). It was nice catching up with David, but I didn't get to spend that much time with him since I was so late and he had to leave around 6pm.

Also, today, I set my alarm for 8am. I woke up at 10am, which means I'd be at least an hour and a half late for class, but then I just came online and started writing an e-mail and this post instead of getting dressed. I'm feeling a "moleza" and feeling that it's not like I'm learning that much from class, and this is a vacation.

Also, I'm realizing that it hasn't been my alarm clock that's been waking me up all week. I was just "jetlagged" in a way that made my sleep schedule like normal people's (sleep at 11pm or earlier, wake up around 8am or earlier). Now I've gotten rid of it (probably that night I stayed up till 4am since I was talking to a mom, Marcia, and Robin on MSN), I'm in my "normal" sleep schedule of waking up at noon. I'm thinking I should get a travel clock or something that beeps because this waking up late and missing a train or a class isn't that big of a deal, but if at some point I miss a flight, that would suck.

No comments: