Friday, July 18, 2008

Rien de rien

I haven't been writing much which reflects what I've been doing.

I stopped caring to go out and randomly explore after the first week and a half. Lausanne is nice, but far from exciting. We went to the Musee Olympique yesterday, I suppose that's something... The depiction of China was interesting to see. 

Also, seeing the museum made me very jaded. I learned how a lot of the games are funded by the marketing (selling TV rights, merchandise, etc) and the IOC keeps about 8% of the profit (leaving the municipality and other levels of government of the host place to foot the bills of getting ready for the Olympics). It made their message about how it's "celebrating humanity" seem kinda silly. Their little visual presentation they had about the games made me think what a useless endevour it is to become the fastest/strongest/most skilled in an obscure set of motions which don't come up particularly often. I mean, at least with striving to be more intelligent, you can perhaps come up with a new idea or link obscure concepts together in a way that generates more knowledge for humanity. But what's the use to society knowing that a human being is capable (possibly via the aid of illicit substances) go x distance in t seconds. And they spend so much resources trying to become better, but in 5, maybe 10 years, they'll just get injured or start to get older, then what do they have?

In other news, I'm about 70% sure I should go to Dalhousie. I don't know how much I want to though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rien de rien! esta é boa!