Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Post where I Finally Talk About People Instead of Solitary Excursions

So it seems like I'm making friends in spite of myself.

Since the first day, I've been mostly avoiding people. I've been missing solitude this year and was preferring getting reacquainted with it rather than making an effort via hanging out with someone and feeling an obligation to fill the silence with awkward small talk instead of just enjoying being by a brooke with one's thoughts.

And despite my almost systematic efforts to be antisocial, it would appear I have been making many friends (well, friendly acquaintances... see MC for a more in depth discussion on the distinction) in various circles. It's one of those I meet a couple people, and then they introduce me to their friends and we hang out with their friends, and so forth thus becoming friends by extension.

Just now I arrived from a lovely barbeque by the lake. I met a really affable guy on exchange from UBC. There was a large group of us. They drank (wine is less expensive than pop: one bottle of wine is $2.50, a 375mL bottle of coke is $3), we played volleyball, ate a lot, and joked around. Tim (guy from UBC) and I exchanged notes about the similarities between Lausanne and Vancouver and he gave me suggestions on what classes to take (he's a psych major and is graduating next december). We stayed there until about 11pm whence it was getting quite dark and caught one of the last trains out. 

So it would appear I've stumbled upon friends despite efforts to the contrary.



In other news, I've decided to go to Italy this weekend. 
Also, Beth: don't worry about Spain. I found a very convenient spanish course in Madrid which will make my stay there educational. It's almost exactly the same length of time that I'll be staying there and they also provide accommodations. And god knows I'm really out of practice with my spanish to the point where I'm uncomfortable answering back in that language when someone says something to me (as happened today and yesterday).

Also, did my registration. My schedule is pretty messed up. (e.g. I have a class that's 8am three times per week during second semester, I found out just yesterday I don't have the pre-reqs for the bio classes I wanted to take (which in turn are the pre-reqs for the genetics class I wanted take for next year), all third year english classes are full, I wasn't able to fit in enough useful credits, I have no break between 9:30am and 2pm on Fridays). Also, thinking of transferring third year. This is still pretty hypothetical, but I just found out that as of this year, they're no longer offering a B.Sc. Honours in psychology. I have to do more research to find out the importance of having a honours degree vs. regular major in terms of going into grad school, but it seems that though not completely necessary, it helps to have one. I'd like to finish my undergrad at UBC, but not if it compromises my ability to go on to whichever grad school I want once I graduate. For now, I guess I should work under the presumption that I'm staying at UBC but I have a lot of research yet to do (e.g. what grad school do I want to go to? what are their requirements? if not UBC, where? what are their transfer requirements? how well will my credits transfer?) Also, if I'm staying at UBC, I'll rethink my credits plan, and maybe reconsider going on exchange.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mair you've become so goddamn independent it's making me feel inadequate- but lots of things make me feel inadequate these days

Anonymous said...

darling, an honours degree is so uber better that If UBC's not offering it, I insist you transfer to Toronto next year.